Home Pilot's Page

Learn to Fly at Headcorn

So, you have taken your trial lesson and have been bitten by the flying bug! If you decide to continue your training, a decision will have to be made as to which of the two main licenses you will aim for

Private Pilot's Licence (EASA-PPL)

This involves a minimum of 45 hours flight training. Most students take between 55-60 hours to pass their test, some more, some less. There are 9 multiple choice exams to pass:-

There is also a Radio Telephony practical exam and a navigation and general handling flight test.

When these exams have been passed you will be able to fly a single engine piston aeroplane with as many passengers as it will hold, anywhere in the world in reasonable weather conditions. Further ratings can be added to this licence with additional training.


  • Aviation Law
  • Human Performance and Limitations
  • Meteorology
  • Navigation and Radio Aids
  • Aircraft (General) Knowledge
  • Flight Performance and Planning
  • Communication
  • Operational Procedures
  • Principles of Flight

Other Ratings

  • Instrument Rating (Restricted) – allowing you to fly in cloud with no reference to surface features
  • Night Rating – Flying an aircraft at night
  • Multi-Engine Rating – Flying an aircraft with two engines
  • Aerobatic Courses – In our CAP 10
  • Tail Wheel – in either a CAP 10 or Piper PA12 Super Cruiser

Light Aircraft Pilot's Licence (LAPL)

The LAPL was created for pilots looking for a simplified course. A minimum of 35 hours flying is required as well as passing nine multiple choice exams and a radio telephony practical exam. Once these have been completed a navigational and general handling test needs to be passed before you will be awarded your LAPL.

This will then allow you to fly in reasonable weather, carrying up to four people (including the pilot) any single engine piston aircraft up to 2,000 kilograms (just under two tons) within Europe.

If embarking on a flying course, it is advisable to complete your medical as early as possible. It is a requirement before your first solo flight. Medical requirements are similar to that of an HGV driver and can be signed by your local G.P.

For more information call us on 01622 891 539